Places to stay in Guadeloupe (La Désirade Island)
There are quite few places to stay in La Désirade Island if you plan to visit soon. Among all the islands part of Guadeloupe Archipelago, La Désirade Island is the least populated, therefore has fewer places to stay in terms of accommodation. Nonetheless, there are plenty of options and this list of 9 and more will help you to find perfect places to stay in different areas across the island.
To sum up, this article is all about giving you useful information about comfortable and safe places to stay in La Désirade Island. Most importantly for each of them, there is a link to the official website for further details except the last section which is a list of additional places. Even though they don’t have any official website, I included a brief description of their services and some contact details when appropriate.
Here are 9 relaxing and peaceful places to stay in La Désirade Island, you should book for your next holiday.
*Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list but you are more than welcome to suggest any other places that will benefit everyone.
La Désirade Island
This part of Guadeloupe Archipelago is composed of a sparsely inhabited main island and a small archipelago called Petite Terre. The main island, commonly called La Désirade is the oldest in the Lesser Antilles.
La Désirade has an elongated limestone shape therefore, there is a unique 11km departmental road. The departmental runs from Anse des Galets in the West to Baie-Mahault weather station in the East. The coastline has beautiful white sandy beaches protected by long coral reefs. Finally, the highest point which is called Grande Montagne reaches 273 metres.
On the other hand, Petite Terre is a uninhabited archipelago made up of 2 islands: Terre-de-Haut et Terre-de-Bas. Petite Terre has the most important population of Iguanas in the Lesser Antilles. As a matter of fact, the archipelago has been classified as a terrestrial and marine nature reserve in 1998. Other than Iguanas, this area has a rich submarine fauna including many species of marine turtles and fishes. Additionally, the flora is another important asset of Petite Terre.
Places to stay in Beauséjour
Located in the South-West part of La Désirade Island, Beauséjour is the main township. Most importantly, the port which is also in this area, is used for commercial, recreational and fishing purposes. When taking the ferry from Grande-Terre island to La Désirade Island, you will arrive in Beauséjour. Nevertheless, this township is relatively quiet and pleasant with various memorials to discover.
Hôtel Oasis is on the list of the places to stay in La Désirade. This hotel is located in Beauséjour area.
- Rooms (Single, double and triple for 1 to 3 persons)
- Studios with kitchenettes (For 2 to 4 persons)
- The restaurant Lagranlag has a wide variety of Creole dishes:
Lagranlag is open every Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays for Lunch and Dinner.
You can also enjoy Dinner on Thursdays and Sundays.
The restaurant is completely closed on Mondays.
- Breakfast is served at the hotel every day from 7.30 to 9.30 am
Les Gîtes de la Grande Ravine are on the list of places to stay in La Désirade. This Holiday Cottage is situated in Beauséjour area more precisely in Le Désert.
- Alamanda (For 1 to 7 persons)
- Ixora (For 1 to 7 persons)
- Hibiscus (For up to 4 persons)
- Alpinia (For up to 6 persons)
- Breakfast and catering services on request at extra cost
Places to stay in Le Souffleur
This township which is right in the middle of La Désirade Island, is quite popular because of its stunning sandy beach. If you love water sports such as snorkelling, Le Souffleur beach is the ideal place to go. Furthermore, fishermen really enjoy this area as well.
Club Caravelles is another one of the places to stay in La Désirade. This holiday residence is located in Le Souffleur area.
3 Double Bungalows with kitchenette that can be converted into 6 apartments:
- La Pinta
- La Ninia
- and La Santa-Maria
Leisure & Activities:
- Outdoor swimming-pool
- Breakfast on request at additional cost from 7.30 to 9 am
- Catering services for Dinner at additional cost
Gîtes Alizea is part of the places to stay in La Désirade. This Holiday Cottage is in Le Souffleur area.
4 Cottages + terrace (For 2 persons)
Les Galets is one of the few small townships in La Désirade Island. Located in the South-West part of the island, Les Galets used to be a deportation area for criminals from Grande-Terre Island. As a matter of fact, Les Galets is the closest township to Grande-Terre Island facing la Pointe des Châteaux.
Gîte “Pli bel vie là” is another one of the comfortable places to stay in La Désirade. This Holiday Cottage is located in Les Galets.
- 1 Bungalow (For up to 6 persons)
Les Gîtes Amour d’Olivier is part of the relaxing places to stay in La Désirade. This holiday Cottage is in Les Galets area.
Leisure & Activities:
- Outdoor swimming pool
Baie-Mahault is the last township on the East part of La Désirade Island. Most noteworthy, the former weather station used to be in this area. Also, you will also be able to discover over there, a ship graveyard and some remnants of a cotton plantation from the 18th century.
Gîtes des Remparts is one of the lovely places to stay in La Désirade. This Holiday Cottage is located in Baie-Mahault area.
- Aloes (For 2 adults and 1 child)
- Bambou (For 2 adults and 1 child)
1 Apartment T2:
- Cajou (For 2 to 4 persons)
1 Apartment T3
- Corail (For 4 adults and 1 child)
Gites Bord de Mer is a part of the cozy places to stay in La Désirade. This lovely cottage is in Baie-Mahault area.
- 1 Cottage (60 m² for 2 to 4 persons + 1 baby)
- There is a barbecue at disposal
Desirada is also part of the places to stay in La Désirade. This Holiday Cottage is located in Baie-Mahault area.
- 1 double Studio
- 1 double Studio with 2 Bunk Beds
One Villa (For 7 persons)
- There is a bar with a wide range of Non-Alcoholic and Alcoholic Drinks & Beverages.
- The restaurant is operating every morning for breakfast.
- Desirada restaurant is also open on Friday and Saturday nights.
Other Places and contact details
Le Mirage Hotel restaurant (Phone number: 0590 20 01 08)
Oualiri Beach Hotel (Phone number: 0590 20 20 08)
- This hotel which is part of the places to stay is situated in Beauséjour and has 6 rooms on offer.
Les Flots Bleus (Phone number: 0590 83 53 72)
- This Holiday Cottage, which is also one of the places to stay in La Désirade is located in Baie-Mahault. There are 3 Bungalows on offer. Flamboyant, Jade and Hibiscus are 56 – 60 m² for 2 to 4 persons.
Le Cybele (Phone number: 0590 91 25 86 / 0690 41 50 22)
La Luzarchoise (Phone number: 0590 20 01 49 / 0690 75 12 49)
- There are 3 Villas on offer that can accommodate up to 12 people including 4 bedrooms.
Gîtes de la Grande Source (Phone number: 0590 20 03 88)
- This Holiday Cottage includes 4 Bungalows for 5 persons max and a Villa for 8 persons max.
Villa les Balaous (Phone number: 0690 75 70 64)
Gîtes les Anacardiers (Phone number: 0590 84 13 86 / 0690 59 57 98 / 0590 20 04 61)
La Désirade Island is known for having the most beautiful beaches in Guadeloupe Archipelago. All of them have protected coral reefs with stunning seabeds. Here are some of them:
- Anse Petite Rivière (Baie-Mahault)
- Plage à Fanfan (Beauséjour)
- Anse d’Echelle (Les Galets)
- Plage à Fifi (Beauséjour)
- Plage du Souffleur (Le Souffleur)
- La Payotte (Beauséjour)
- Créperie Désir Breton (Beauséjour)
- Creole restaurant Au Soleil Levant (Beauséjour)
- Restaurant Délices Créoles (Le Souffleur)
- Rose Ita (Le Souffleur)
- Creole restaurant Lagranlag (Beauséjour)
- La Roulotte (Le Souffleur)
Sites to visit:
- Chapelle Notre-Dame du calvaire
- Ruines de la cotonnerie
- Vestige de la léproserie
- Petite Terre Islands National Nature Reserve
Sporting activities and centres:
Additionally, if you love walking, there are numerous hiking trails in La Désirade Island including:
- Grand Nord
- Pointe Doublé