Marie-Galante Island – The Island of Hundred Windmills
Marie-Galante Island is an administrative dependency of Guadeloupe Archipelago.
During the 19th century, there were multiple windmills on the island hence the fact that it is also known as the Hundred Windmills. Due to its round-shape, Marie-Galante nickname is la grande galette (the big pancake). The three main townships of the island are Capesterre in the south-east, Grand Bourg which is also the capital in the south-west and Saint-Louis in the north-est.
Marie-Galante Island’s economy
With its dry tropical climate, diversified vegetation and quiet streets, Marie-Galante Island has the most beautiful white sand beaches in Guadeloupe Archipelago. Fishing, breeding, agriculture (mostly sugar cane plantations), tourist and craft industry are the main economic drivers of the island.
Marie-Galante Island is famous for having the best rums in Guadeloupe Archipelago.
Island of history and culture, you will find remnants of the past everywhere. For instance, cockfighting and ox pulls have always been popular until now.
Marie-Galante is an authentic island that will allow you to go back in time. From distilleries, windmills, old fashioned means of transport to stunning beaches, the island is worth a visit.
Marie-Galante Island must-see spots
Here are some unforgettable places not to be missed, when visiting Marie-Galante Island:
- Habitation Murat, a former sugar cane plantation located in Grand-Bourg township
- Moulin Bézard, the only windmill currently in operation in Capesterre township
- Bellevue, Bielle, and Poisson, three distilleries that produce Domaine de Bellevue, Bielle and Père Labat rums
- Sirop de Batterie Moysan, a sugar cane syrup factory in Capesterre township
- Gueule grand gouffre, an impressive open-cast abyss from where you will see the sea in Saint-Louis township
- Aero prestation, if you want to have a flying experience
- Océom les Bijoux de l’Océan, a gold jewellery designer with shells and marine objects in Grand-Bourg township
- Multiple hiking trails : Sentier Côtier, Sentier Murat, Sentier des Hauts de Capesterre, Sentier des Galeries, Sentier de la Côte Est, Sentier des Falaises, Sentier de l’Anse du Coq and Sentier de Vieux-Fort
- La Feuillère, a stunning white sand beach in Capesterre township