Marie-Galante Island – The Island of Hundred Windmills
Marie-Galante Island is an administrative dependency of Guadeloupe Archipelago.
Also known as the Island of “Hundred Windmills” (due to its multiple windmills during the 19th century) and nicknamed “la grande galette” (the big pancake), this round-shaped island is divided into three main townships: At the South-West you will find Grand-Bourg which is the capital city, Saint-Louis at the North-West and Capesterre at the South-East.
Marie-Galante Island’s economy
With its dry tropical climate, diversified vegetation and quiet streets, Marie-Galante Island has the most beautiful white sand beaches in Guadeloupe Archipelago. Fishing, breeding, agriculture (mostly sugar cane plantations), tourist and craft industry are the main economic drivers of the island.
Marie-Galante Island is famous for having the best rums in Guadeloupe Archipelago.
Island of history and culture, you will find remnants of the past such everywhere. For instance, cockfighting and ox pulls have always been popular until now.
From distilleries, windmills, old fashioned means of transport to stunning beaches, the authenticity of Marie-Galante Island will definitely allowing you to turn back time.
Marie-Galante Island must-see spots
Here are some unforgettable places not to be missed when visiting Marie-Galante Island:
- “Habitation Murat” a former sugar cane plantation located in Grand-Bourg Township
- “Moulin Bézard” the only windmill currently in operation in Capesterre Township
- “Bellevue”, “Bielle”, and “Poisson” the three distilleries that make the different rums “Domaine de Bellevue”, “Bielle” and “Père Labat”
- “Sirop de Batterie Moysan” a sugar cane syrup factory in Capesterre Township
- Gueule grand gouffre an impressive open-cast abyss from where you will see the sea in Saint-Louis Township
- “Aero prestation” to do a plane ride of the island
- “Océom les Bijoux de l’Océan” gold jewellery designer with shells and marine objects in Grand Bourg Township
- Multiple hiking trails “Sentiers Côtier, Murat, des Hauts de Capesterre, des Galeries, de la Côte Est, des Falaises, de l’Anse du Coq, de Vieux-Fort, des Sources”
- “ La Feuillère” a stunning beach of white sand in Capesterre Township