After the introduction to the “Prune de cythère” let’s find out what kind of recipe we can make from this tasty tropical fruit. In Guadeloupe Archipelago the “Prune de cythère” juice and “Prune de cythère” sorbet are quite famous and have lots of fans. But here we are going to see how to make some homemade “Prune de cythère” jam. Let’s get started!
Ingredients for 2 jars
– 1kg of “Prunes de cythère” (Make sure to choose them ripe)
– 500g of brown sugar
– A tablespoon of vanilla extract
– A teaspoon of bitter almond extract
– The zest of a lime
– Half of a vanilla pod
– 2 pinches of cinnamon
– 1 pinch of nutmeg
– Wash, peel and cut your “Prunes de cythère” in half
– Put them in a saucepan with the other ingredients and let everything macerate for about 1 hour
– Allow to simmer-low for about 2 hours
– After 2 hours the jam is done!
– Put it straight away in the jars to sterilise them
– Let cool down before putting in the fridge
You can keep the jam a couple of months in the fridge.
The “Prune de cythère” jam is so yummy and unique due to the combination of the sour, vanilla and sugary taste.