Let me introduce to you the avocado which is a famous fruit in Guadeloupe archipelago.
Although it is technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. The avocado is a tree native to Mexico and Central America and is classified in the flowering plant family Lauraceae along with cinnamon, camphor and bay laurel. This fruit is highly nutritious and is composed of vitamin E, iron, potassium and niacin. In addition to that it is also unique among fruits that contain oil.
Here is a famous recipe in Guadeloupe:
Ingredients for 10 persons:
- 200g of saltfish
- A ripe avocado
- 200g of cassava flour
- 3 spring onions
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 3 garlics
- Sunflower oil
- A lime
- Rinse the saltfish with cold water
- Soak the saltfish in a pan fried with garlic. Bring to boil
- Then drain the saltfish and crumble it. Reserve it
- Using a small sharp knife, run a blade all the way around the avocado, from top to bottom. Twist the two halves in opposite directions to separate them and break it up
- Brush the avocado with the lime because avocado flesh discolours rapidly on exposure to the air
- Put it on the blender with the saltfish, some garlic cloves minced and the spring onions and blend everything
- Add the cassava flour and keep mixing to obtain a smooth texture
- For the presentation, you can do small balls and roll them in the cassava flour
- Put them in the fridge for 1 hour
The avocado feroce is mostly served as an appetizer or starter.